Sunday 12 January 2014

January Blues

So, I don't think I'm the only one feeling the full blown, depressing effects of January - am I right? Everything is miserable, everyone is poor, and after having Christmas everything just seems to have lost it's sparkle. If like me, you find it really hard to motivate yourself then I've tried to think of a few tips to help us all out - which I'm taking myself and already seems to be helping a bit.

1. Eat cleaner
This is the one that I am really trying to stick to - and not just for January, but in the long term. I didn't make any particular new year's resolutions, but I have been making a conscious effort to stop drinking fizzy drinks. I work in retail and often turn to fizzy drinks like Coke or Lucozade for a pick me up, alongside unhealthy dinners from the food court. However in 2014 I have managed to have one fizzy drink (a Sprite Zero may I add!) and I already feel tons better - my stomach isn't bloated anymore, my teeth don't have that horrible fuzzy coating after drinking, and I actually have more energy now. So I'm trying the same with foods - not going overboard but just making sure I'm not eating too many bad carbs/fats, and trying not to eat crisps and sweets. It feels difficult but I know that I will like myself a lot better in the long run.

2. Keep in touch with your friends/family
This one sounds a bit silly but it's really important. Both of my best friends live far away from me for uni and since I've moved to Manchester I'm obviously further away from my family now. I really miss being able to see them often so I'm going to make an effort to talk to them all more and make more plans. When you're sad you should be able to surround yourself with the people who love you to make you feel better.

3. Don't take things out on yourself
I really need to learn from this one. Today for example, the morning started off quite well. Had a good lie in, dossing on the sofa with my boyfriend and the dog, sausage sandwich and the like. We then realised we had to go to Tesco and when we were there I found myself getting really would up at everyone for no reason! This then led to me being really grumpy which led to my boyfriend being frustrated at me, until I had a bit of a breaking point and started crying when I accidentally dropped a mug. Er, yeah. That happened. So I need to start letting some things go!

4. Make plans for the month!
January is mainly depressing because no one has any money, so people tend not to do anything which in turn makes them more depressed. So start making plans! If you're lucky enough to live in a city then there are plenty of free things to do - museums, parks, etc. If you don't live in the city then you might have to get a bit more creative - but what's to stop you and your friends having a cheap night in? Everyone make a dish and bring it over, bring films etc, and just relax. You don't need to spend lots of money at a restaurant or on a huge night out to have a good time.

5. Start a memory jar
I've seen lots of people do this and I think I'm definitely going to do the same. The idea is you get a jar and throughout the year, you fill it with things that you have done on little pieces of paper, then at the end of the year you can look back on all the happy times you've had in the year. This also might spur you on to fill the jar - if you only have one thing planned for the month then your jar might look a little bit sad! 

I know these are all only silly things but they do help. I think it's really important to stick together in January as be honest, it is a sad month and we're not even halfway through yet. Have you got any good tips for staying happy this month? Let me know - and have a good month!



No comments :

Post a Comment